Monday, August 28, 2023

The Summer Ends And We Wonder Where We Are

As someone who went directly from loving school supplies to loving office supplies, this time of year has always been an exciting one of new beginnings. My kid is about to move up to the next classroom at daycare, and my Facebook feed is flooded with first day of school photos from friends and family. 

When I was first starting out, I often moved to a new place and started a new job at the end of the summer. So this time of year reminds me of the girl I used to be and the places and projects and people she knew. Now that I have a regular job, I feel a little nostalgic for the seasonal work I used to do. There was something nice about being able to close a chapter of work after a few weeks or months. My work life now feels like an indefinite trudge toward "retirement," and who even knows if I will have time or energy or money left to do anything fun if or when I get there.

Sometimes, I would also end up with some time off between gigs, and I really miss that right now. I would detox from coffee and alcohol, catch up on sleep, cook and bake, take care of boring life things like getting my car serviced, and sometimes I would take a little road trip to see a friend. Being a working mom is hard, and I'm pretty much exhausted all the time. This time of year definitely makes me crave a little down time after the hustle and bustle of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment