Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Episode XLIV: A New Hope

In 1933 when the 20th Amendment moved the Presidential Inauguration to January 20, I wonder if, amid the growing Great Depression, they realized they were moving the start of a new presidency near the start of the Chinese year...

Today I got in a bit of an argument with the other temp in my department because he thought President Obama's speech yesterday was too feel good and I disagreed.

I make the new year connection because for me personally, I felt inspired by his speech to take stock and reassess, to look harshly at my shortcomings (occupationally, fiscally, personally), set goals to overcome these, and to resolve to meet them. When he spoke of "the winter of our hardship" I felt as if he were speaking to me, and calling me to action to solve my own problems which will in turn help solve those of our amazing nation. If we were making resolutions this week, that would be mine. No more complaining or excuses. Just do it. (Also, has anyone else noticed how Pepsi's new logo looks like Obama's campaign logo?)

Additionally, "and with eyes fixed on the horizon" recalled to my mind lyrics from a musical I worked on about a year and a half ago. The song "City On The Horizon" closed Act I with a phenomenal flourish, and the lyrics were moving in context at the time and even more so now in the light of the difficult road and tasks ahead:

...
WE WILL LEAVE IN NO ORDINARY HURRY
FOR A PLACE OF EXTRAORDINARY WORTH
A CITY UPON THE HORIZON
WHERE THE PROMISE OF HEAVEN TOUCHES EARTH
IN THE LIGHT OF NO ORDINARY MORNING
IN THE GLOW OF NO ORDINARY LOVE
A CITY UPON THE HORIZON
WILL UNITE WHAT’S BELOW AND WHAT’S ABOVE
...
WE WILL COME WITH NO ORDINARY THOUSANDS
WE WILL BUILD WITH NO ORDINARY GRACE
A CITY UPON THE HORIZON
EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE TOMORROW
...
IN THE CITY UPON THE HORIZON
EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL
AND DANGEROUS
AND POSSIBLE
IN THE DAWN OF NO ORDINARY DAY


"Everything is Possible" was another song in the show.

LIFT ME TO THE VERY HIGHEST HEAVEN
DROP ME IN THE GREAT GREEN SWIRLING SEA
I AM INDESTRUCTIBLE THIS MORNING
EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE TO ME

LET ME HAVE THE LIGHTNING FOR MY BREAKFAST
MAY MY WILDEST NIGHTMARES ALL COME TRUE
FEAR IS IRRESISTABLE THIS MORNING
EVERYTHING IS DANGEROUS
...
AND FEAR IS NO DISASTER
I CAN FACE AN UNFAMILIAR SHORE
...
SUDDENLY I SOAR
I NEVER DID BEFORE

No comments:

Post a Comment