Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy XMas

So this is Christmas...

It was Mom and Dad's year to host dinner. Starting with Dad's Makers Mark Egg Nog (which he makes from scratch) on Sunday, we spent the entire week preparing and cooking. I had a hand in the meatballs. Literally. I took the ground beef mix Mom made and rolled it into spheres for Dad to brown up. That was a team effort. I made the Ginger Chicken appetizer from start to finish (after Mom de-boned the meat for me) as well as Mom-Mom's Stuffed Mushrooms. Aunt Laura approved of the chicken, and Mom-Mom said my mushrooms were "Great"!



It was a small group of 7 (down from the 11 of my childhood) at the table this year as Vinnie and Chris were out of state with their beautiful wives and in-laws and Persie never made it down. We still had a wonderful meal, and we didn't even drink too much! (That's saying a lot if you know Uncle Tom and Dad on holidays.) Of course I can't help but miss those who aren't with us or weren't here today, but I'm so incredibly thankful to be surrounded by so much love. I know I'm fortunate to have such a wonderful, loving, and supportive family.

I'm also quite thankful to my friends who sent messages of love and happy holidays today. Unfortunately I wasn't able to respond to all of the messages because we were hosting and I was up to my elbows in parmesan and basil, but the thought did not go unnoticed.

After our guests left, Dad, Mom, and I sat down by the fire, found the 1938 A Christmas Carol on TCM on demand, and got in one last bit of Christmas spirit before the clock struck midnight.

The only tradition that I missed was that we didn't gather around the piano and sing "Cigarettes, Whiskey, and Wild Wild Women" after dinner, as has been our custom for the past 12 Christmases.

No comments:

Post a Comment