Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring Road Trip '08, First Stop: Rochester, NY

I would like to intersperse photos with the blog, but I don't have them yet and wanted to get started, so the photos will come later.

Let's begin at the beginning.

What had happened was, my friend Justin from last summer at TriArts and his friend Eva from school, who is now my friend as well, drove down from Milwaukee last Friday, March 14. We went out for Mexican food and a pitcher of frozen mango margaritas, and visited the grocery store to get supplies and snacks for the trip.

Saturday morning, we were out the door about 3 minutes behind schedule, and after a short stop at the Dunkin Donuts on the corner, we were on the road. I drove through Chicago and into Indiana and just before the end we stopped for gas and to switch drivers. Justin drove through Ohio (we picked up Einstein Bros for lunch), and Eva drove the end of Ohio, the short stretch of Pennsylvania, and to Rochester, NY where we stopped for the night.

We arrived at Mike and Danielle's shortly after 7pm, right on schedule. Mike and Danielle are friends of mine from college at UR, and they have a daughter, Gracie, who as we arrived we found out was turning 4 on Saturday! Our stay with them was brief but lovely. We had pizza and beer and talked about mutual friends, theatre in Rochester, Cincinnati, and Chicago. We were all wiped out and crashed around 11. (Gracie had already gone upstairs but continued to tell us to stop laughing while she was trying to fall asleep.)

Sunday morning I woke up around 7:30, and visited with Mike, Danielle, Gracie, and Danielle's father who was visiting for the weekend. I spent quite some time talking with Mike, and when it was my turn to shower, I returned to find Justin and Mike playing video games and Eva and Gracie playing kitchen. It was great!

We left their house a few minutes after 11am, a few minutes behind schedule, and met my friend Sue at the Highland Diner. Sue and I were both production assistants at Studio Arena Theatre in Buffalo for the 2003-2004 season, and we hadn't seen each other in four years. Brunch was good. There was an item on the menu called "Mexican Alarm Clock" which we found entertaining because it was the only item with no description. None of us were brave enough to try it. Sue and I had a good time talking about old friends and the sad news that the theatre we both worked at has recently closed. As evidence that theatre is a small world, I was able to explain that Eva's SM advisor at school, Jess, is the same woman who was Sue's and my PSM and boss 4 years ago in Buffalo.

We left Rochester at about 12:15pm, which was approximately 15 minutes later than I had expected we would, and headed east on the New York State Thruway...

No comments:

Post a Comment