Sunday, March 23, 2008

Second Stop: Boston

We arrived at Erik's apartment in beantown at about 6:30pm Sunday evening, the 16th of March. I went to dinner at Bamboo with 2 college friends Steve and Laura, and returned to join Justin, Eva, Erik, Fred, his girlfriend Meghan, Audra, and her brother and Erik's roommate Tim for Russelritas (blended tequila and raspberry sherbert drinks) while they finished the homemade enchiladas Erik had made. We watched some TV: Simpsons, Family Guy, Scrubs; and we planned our St. Patrick's Day.

Monday morning, our first morning to sleep in, I woke up shortly after 10 and talked with Erik while I let Justin and Eva sleep in (as I had promised). But at 11, we decided we would have to wake them up soon if we were going to start celebrating St. Patrick's Day right. We had a round of mimosas before we left the house at 12:30, and Erik, Justin, Tim, Eva and I took the 57 bus to Allston to lunch at a restaurant called Sports Depot during the Red Sox-Yankees game with Eva and Justin's friend Jess and her friend Paul.

After the game (the Yankees won--sad face), we went to Sunset Grill a few blocks away and had a few drinks while we waited for Holly, Audra, Fred, and Meghan to join us. The place was pretty empty when we arrived (as was the Sports Depot), and we felt like we'd missed a memo that no one was celebrating this year. My friend Alexis, former assistant company manager at the Joffrey, stopped by for a little bit after work, and we had a good chat before she had to go study. The bar got busier after 5pm, and we had dinner around 7. After Sunset, we walked another few blocks to a bar called Great Scot where Erik's friend Conan's band Baker would be playing. We heard the end of one and one other full set before Baker took the stage. I could tell that the band was pretty awesome, but there were some serious mixing issues, and we were already tired from being out and drinking all day, so I had a little bit of a headache. The best part, in my opinion, was their cover of "500 Miles" by the Proclaimers. They didn't really know the verses, so it was just an excuse to sing the "da da da da" part of the chorus. Good times.

Tuesday was my birthday. Yay me! We got a later start than I'd hoped, and were on the Mass Pike by 10am headed to New Haven, CT where we had brunch with my sister-in-law Sarah before she had to go to Yale Rep to tech for A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde, which she said her assistant refers to as A Woman of No Importance of Being Earnest. I had not seen Sarah in two and a half months, and would not see her for another two and a half months, so the visit was good. We brunched at Copper Kitchen on Chapel, and then she gave us a tour of the Unimportant Woman set at the Rep. We parted with Sarah at about 1pm, and stopped at Target and Michael's to kill a little bit of time since we weren't due in the next city until 4pm...

No comments:

Post a Comment