Thursday, February 21, 2008

Skiing Hard and The Beatles

So, since Jesse flew in so late last night and wanted to get out on the sl0pes so early, he arranged for a ski rental delivery service to come to the condo this morning, called Skis On The Run. This started us all singing "Skis on the run" to the tune of "Band on the Run" by Paul McCartney's band Wings, which then turned into us altering the lyrics of several Beatles songs to sing about skiing, which was further endorsed by hearing two Beatles songs this morning in lift lines. Will you still need me? Will you still ski with me when I'm sixty-four.

Which brings us to... Day 1:
I had gotten so little sleep Tuesday night that I took a nap after everyone else got up this morning, and I was just getting up again when the majority was getting ready to hit the slopes. Mom & I picked up my rental skis and were on the slopes at 11 (later than I would have liked). We started up the Payday and Bonanza Lifts and took Single Jack to Thaynes Canyon to the base of the King Con lift where we had reason to believe Aunt Laura was skiing. At the top of the lift, we paused to tighten our boots and in a perfect act of serendipity, we ran into Aunt Laura. We skied Temptation and Seldom Seen before heading over to the Silverlode lift to meet the rest of our party at the Summit House Restaurant for lunch (7 cheeseburgers, please!). After lunch, we split along the gender line again and Mom, Aunt Laura and I skied Parley's Park, Prospector, and Broadway to the King Con lift again, but took First Temptation to check out the new Silver Star lift. By then it was 3:15 so we started to work our way back to the base, and walked into the front door a little after 4.

Always one to try something my brother recommends, I had my first apres-ski beer and donut while we did some prep for dinner (chopping broccoli, garlic, and chicken). Some of us went over to check out the hot tub (too much Bromine!), and then we got cleaned up, made dinner, and called Mom-Mom (who had ravioli, Italian sausage, and a cannoli delivered to her physical therapy rehab center for dinner tonight). The 7 of us polished off a half-gallon of coffee ice cream and watched the last hour or so of Disney's The Incredibles, and at 9:30pm, everyone over the age of 30 (Vinnie and Jesse included!) went upstairs to bed.

We've already established that I'm a night owl, so I'm going to make up my blanket and pillow on the plush leather couch and read for a little while. Maybe I'll stay up past 10:30pm! :)

I do want to add one very important thing. It's only Day 1, and I'm having a good time, but I am really missing Sarah, Chris, and Elysia. I'm glad (for their sake) they're not here to hear The Gunbarrel Story, but I cannot wait until the next time I can ski with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment