Thursday, February 21, 2008

On The Eve Of Ski Boot Camp

Today was a long day, mostly because I didn't sleep very well last night. It actually seems to me that I didn't sleep at all, though I must have because I would have noticed if I'd been awake for 6 hours.

Does it count as waking up before your alarm if you don't actually go to sleep?


Anyway, today was up at 5 (well, 4:45am), out the door by 6:25 (I was running 5 min late). Was at Robyn's by 7, and at Midway by 8. I checked my bags, got through security, and was waiting at the gate when my parents, aunt, and uncle deplaned. Together we got a quick bite and picked up sandwiches for on the flight, and went to our gate.

On the way, I ran into Iega, Gary, CeeCee, and Tracey who I worked with last fall on the Nefertiti show at the Athenaeum. It was good to see them--they are heading to Colorado for the start of their tour. It would have been more impressive if I hadn't been in my own city running into people at the airport, but it still made me feel like my dad a little bit.

It was a little bit of a wait for the rental car--some sort of mixup with the roof rack we needed for our skis, etc. And at about 2pm local time (feels like 3pm to me), we were driving up I-80 toward Park City.

We checked in, went to the store, unpacked a little, and then headed back to pick up my brother who was flying in around 7pm. In the meantime, we needed a place to dine in Salt Lake City, but since none of us were really familiar, I asked my friend Amy via text message, and we had a lovely dinner at Blue Iguana on West Temple St. There's some sort of legend about my father having a colleague who claims my dad knows where to eat in any city, and has proven it once or twice to skeptics. For the second time today, I felt like "my father's daughter." Not only did I run into people I knew at the airport, but I found the restaurant in the strange city. Felt good.

After dinner, we all drove the 20+ miles back to Park City, relaxed briefly, and then my brother and I turned around and drove back to SLC to pick up my cousin. The drive up was interesting, and I'm not sure you would find any other family who could have the same conversation we had. The general topic was musical theatre, and we all have a music background, but we all see it from different perspectives: sound designer, music director, and stage manager. I'm a little exhausted, so I can't go into exactly what was said, but I just felt like it was an incredibly unique dynamic and I felt lucky to be a part of that.

Ok, now it's time for me to make my bed on the couch and rest up--tomorrow is the first day of Ski Boot Camp, and Uncle Tom thinks he's taking us up to Jupiter Bowl for a warm up first thing. And I still need to pick up my skis tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment