Sunday, February 24, 2008

Blizzard and Bluebird

I think my internet is going away tomorrow when my brother flies to California. So I have to take advantage of it now or else I'll forget what we skied yesterday and today by the time I get back to the internet on Tuesday.

Day 2, Park City:
Running a little bit later than I'd hoped, Aunt Laura and I were still in the lift line by 9:15. We took the Eagle lift to Seldom Seen to the King Con lift to Rosebud and Claim Jumper to the Silverlode lift where we ran into Dad, Vinnie, and Uncle Tom. It snowed all day at various levels. Conditions at the base of the lifts and the lower halves of the runs were nicer: warmer, less windy, less fog, etc., but at the tops it was windy, cold, and hard to see. We skied Hidden Splendor twice and then took a mid-morning pit stop at the base of the Silverlode chair and met up with Mom. It was already 11:30, so we took the chair up and then Mid-Mountain to the Pioneer Chair to Red Eye to the McConkey's chair to Sunrise and then in for lunch at the Mid-Mountain Restaurant. After lunch, Mom, Aunt Laura, and I took the Pioneer Lift up and Keystone down and around. Mom was worn out and decided to head in, so she took the Thaynes lift up and Aunt Laura and I continued down to King Con and took a run down Sitka back up the lift and then the King Con run over to the base of Silverlode for a quick pit stop after which we saw Uncle Tom, Jesse, Dad, and Vinnie, the latter of whom joined us. We took Thaynes Canyon to the King Con lift to King Con Ridge and Dad and Vinnie split off and took Gotcha Cut-Off while Aunt Laura and I took Seldom Seen again, and then made our way back. And then we took the bus into town for Thai and walked back before crashing.

Day 3, Alta:
They woke me up at 6:30am. Well, they woke me up before that, but it was 6:30 when I heard them talking about waking me up so I asked what time it was. We were supposed to leave at 7:30, but left at 7:35, which by my standards is not bad! We had enough time to drive all the way there, park, change into our ski boots, take the skis and poles off of/out of the car, put our shoes back in the car, get our skis on, and wait in the lift line for 10 minutes before the lift opened.

I skied with Aunt Laura and Mom again today. We took the Sunnyside lift to the Sugarloaf lift. I just sort of winged it all day (is that the proper conjugation for that?), so I'm looking back at the map and trying to figure out what we did by comparing the number of the slope I think we skied with the code on the side. I only say this to alert you that there may be a small margin of error in this recap. We took Sugar Bowl to Devil's Elbow to Roller Coaster and back up the Sugarloaf lift. Then we took Collins Return to Mambo to Meadow to Corkscrew and the Wildcat lift up and Stimulation to Meadow to Corkscrew twice. Then we took the Collins lift (once the line had died down) to Mambo to Saddle Traverse to Meadow to Corkscrew and back up the Collins lift. Mom was getting tired, so we took Devil's Way to Devil's Elbow, left Mom at Alf's to rest, and took Rabbit and Sweet'N'Easy (through the trees!) on the Cecret lift before lunch. Alf's has the best reuben sandwiches and we got the last 2 (we wanted 4!). After lunch, Mom, Aunt Laura, and I took Cecret lift up, and Mom was going to do stay there for a few runs before heading down to the lodge. Aunt Laura and I went over to the Supreme Lift and took 3 trips up to ski Rock'n'Roll, 3 Bears, and Big Dipper. Then we skied over to Sugarloaf and took Little Dipper to Devil's Elbow to Roller Coaster to Home Run, and took a final trip up the Sunnyside lift and Bluebell down. We had just put our boots in the car and bought ourselves amazing hot chocolate from Alta Java when we saw Uncle Tom and Jesse--and then Dad and Vinnie--come down. We were leaving at 5:30, got home around 7, started showers and dinner prep and were sitting down to fajitas shortly before 8:30. Oh, I forgot to mention the conditions at Alta were incredible! Mostly sunny, light snow, highs in the mid-20s at the peak and mid-30's at the base. Gorgeous day. Long day and hard, but fantastic.

And now I really need to sleep. This took longer than I thought it would and tomorrow the car leaves for Deer Valley at 8:15am!

No comments:

Post a Comment