I moved to Chicago just over a month ago to be a stage manager with a dance company, and in my first 2 weeks in town, I tried 5 times for the Lottery seats, and 5 times I failed. Tonight, a friend from a city in my past who just moved to town 4 days ago won the lottery and invited me to attend. I’m not sure how or why, but I’d never seen Wicked before this evening, and I was seriously blown away.
I’ve been a fan of musical theatre my entire life (except for a time in college when it wasn’t “cool” to like musicals) and I’ve been a theatre practitioner in various capacities for ten years now, but I was seriously spellbound (honestly, no pun intended) at the show tonight. The strength and amazing talent of the ensemble, and the “spectacle” of the moving scenery, brilliant lighting design, glorious costumes, and flying actors (the SM in me was momentarily terrified) were breathtaking. Even with all my experience, I was unaware of any injuries (I hope he is alright) or music notes during the show until I was chatting with a few friendly company members by the stage door. Besides, isn’t that why we participate in and attend live theatre? Even with all of that going on, each of you, particularly you, Ana, gently pried away the disbelief I have so hard a time suspending and held it in the palm of your figurative hand for 150 minutes. I could not have asked for a better introduction to this play or a better way to spend a Tuesday night (particularly the day after Labor Day with the depressing “back to school” feeling that accompanies it).
I am so proud to live in the same city and work a few blocks away from such a decidedly talented group of people. I wish you all the best. Break a leg tomorrow and always!
Love,
The curly-haired brunette with the big smile sitting SR of center in the first row :)
No comments:
Post a Comment