I just got back from seeing Christy in Big River at the Jewish Community Center which was actually quite good. Well, the set was very functional and quite elaborate (though a little too symmetrical for my taste), the lights weren't bad except I didn't like how they had to use the no-color spollowfot whenever Huck had an aside (ick). Their Tom Sawyer was particularly great, but he's in high school (and not a little bit gay!), so no thanks. But I had issues with the inconsistency of the microphones. Some of the leads had lavs, some did not. Sometimes they gave a little reverb (which sucked). Most of the time, there was actually too much reinforcement. Thank goodness the really loud spirital singer didn't have a mic coming out of her ear! Oh, and the guy who played Huck kinda reminded me of my brother.
Anyway, I ran into Leslie and her mom in the lobby, and then Beth and Emily wandered in and sat in front of us. Christy was great. One of her roles was a "tart" with blacked out teeth and a teased out ponytail. She and I walked out to the parking lot together, and I started seriously considering if I could maybe do a show next year. I even turned WFPK off and sang potential audition songs in the car on the way home! What's gotten into me?
No comments:
Post a Comment