Tuesday, March 15, 2005

90 minutes of exercise a day? Pardon?

According to this article on cnn.com, the government's new dietary guidelines (released in January) suggest 60 to 90 minutes of exercise a day. I understand that they are trying to lower the percentage of American adults who are overweight or obese, but I don't think a government suggestion is going to change anyone's lifestyle. I trust my dad more than the government and 5 years of his nagging still didn't get me exercising when I was in college or interning. It's something you have to decide to do on your own. And, I'd like to point out, it didn't take 90 min a day to lose the 4 sizes I've lost in the past 18 months--it was 20 min 4x and 50 min 3x/week for ten weeks and after that, maybe 20 min every other day, maybe every day, I don't know. Not even 30 min! And now, if I keep at it, I'm going to continue to lose inches rather than maintain the weight I'm currently at.

Here's my favorite sentence: Overall, the guidelines advise eating fewer calories, more fruits, vegetables and whole grains. People should also drink more lowfat milk, eat less fat and salt and get more exercise.

What? Eat more fruit and veg? Eat fewer calories, less fat and salt? Exercise more!? That's novel?

For more, check out HealthierUS.gov or Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005.

And this page has a nifty calculator for finding your BMI to see if you are overweight or obese.

No comments:

Post a Comment