Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Insomnia

I toyed with titling this post "Jetlag" because the number of days since I flew is still less than or equal to the number of timezones I crossed (which, in my opinion, is the point at which you may no longer use jetlag as an excuse).

Really, I think it's the irregular work schedule I returned to.  Originally, I was supposed to work at:
2pm Monday
6pm Tuesday
8:30am Wednesday and Thursday
1pm Friday

But when Monday was changed to a 7am (after a 6:30pm phone call Sunday), and I had woken up three timezones behind on Saturday, my attempt to go to sleep at 9:30pm (which felt a little like 6:30pm) was thwarted after 3 hours.  It was a lovely 3-hour nap, make no mistake, but it was a terrible night's sleep.

Monday was a long day, and I slept in today.  Maybe it was sleeping in.  Maybe it was the cup of tea I had at 4pm.  Maybe it's trying to get up for an 8:30am call when I didn't get home from work until about 10:30pm.

I was in bed by 11:30pm tonight, and I read for about 45 minutes.  And then I tossed and turned for about 2 hours until I realized I was still absolutely wide awake, came downstairs, and made the last bag of Celestial Seasonings in my cabinet.  (I have lots of other kinds of tea, but this was the only decaffeinated kind.)  And I threw some whiskey in it, for good measure.  Maybe that will help me sleep.

I wish I could just turn my brain off.  I have so much on my mind right now, it's ridiculous.  Work, money, housing, friends, family, holidays, work, money...  Last year at some point, maybe New Years, I resolved to complain less.  If I couldn't be positive (or at least constructive), I'd be quiet.  I know I haven't been able to keep to it 100%, but tonight, I really want to complain about my inability to sleep.  I resisted the urge to text, tweet, post to various other internet-based social networks, or email about it.  But since the audience of this blog is much more limited and private, I thought this might be the better venue for my lapse in resolve:  I find it difficult to switch from morning to evening shifts on a daily basis.  It's difficult to do that once each week, let alone twice in three days.

And, since I am nowhere nearer to sleep than when I began typing this post, I'm going to sign off, and start a list of things that are on my mind, so that they will hopefully let me be long enough to get a short nap in before I have to get up and start my day.  Hopefully that whiskey will kick in soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment