A few weeks ago, I first heard about the debt ceiling on NPR. I say a few weeks, but it could easily have been over a month ago. The words "debt ceiling" feel so natural now that I cannot place the exact time they came into my vocabulary.
As I understand it, the debt ceiling is to the country what my credit limit is to me.
Here's what I don't get. If I max out my credit limit, I can request a credit increase from the lender. If the US maxes out its debt ceiling, it can just raise it.
It all seems very cut and dry to me.
Certainly, if I max out my credit cards, I know I'm on a path to disaster, and I'm going to cut back spending (assuming I cannot increase my income). It would be difficult, but it would be necessary. And maybe after a little while (or a long while), I can pay down my debt and get back to the original limit (or lower!)
It's a simple matter of basic arithmetic.
Congress has the chance to increase the nation's income, decrease its spending, and raise its debt ceiling. In short, they have the potential to be the heroes and saviors of their constituents. This is supposed to be government of the people by the people for the people. Not for the Party.
there you go talking sense again.
ReplyDelete