Friday, October 15, 2010

more theatre. less drama.

There's been a little drama at work lately, and while I know I should not take it personally or pay much attention to it, I found myself paying attention to it and taking it personally and getting stressed out because of it.

Without going into any specifics (because putting specifics on the internet could lead to disciplinary action), I just want to state that for the past 4 days I have paid little attention to the drama and worked hard to not let it stress me out (with moderate success).

I'm about to go into another full weekend, and I am challenging myself to work hard and efficiently and not to become distracted or affected by the drama.

I offer this quote, which was shared with me the summer before I was the Treasurer of the Student Council in 8th grade when I attended Leadership Workshop. Our theme that summer was Be A Shining Light.

"I can try. It was one man who invented the wheel. It was one man who discovered the law of gravitation. Nothing that happens is without effect. If you throw a stone in a pond, the universe isn't quite the same as it was before. Be a shining light in the darkness. Represent an ideal that is a refreshment to your fellows; the common run may never attain it, but they respect it, and it affects their lives for good. When a man strives to become pure and perfect, the influence of his character spreads so that they who seek truth are naturally drawn to him. It may be that if I lead the life I've planned for myself if may affect others; the effect may be no greater than the ripple caused by a stone thrown in a pond, but one ripple causes another, and that one a third; it's just possible... that a few people will see that my way of life offers happiness and peace, and that they in their turn will teach what they have learned to others." - W. Somerset Maugham

No comments:

Post a Comment