There is a lovely song by one Dar Williams entitled "The End of the Summer" from an album of the same name. In the 9 years since I first heard this song, this time of year has felt nostalgic to me and brings to the surface feelings of things ending, doors closing, things beginning and doors opening.
Often, for me, this time of year has meant goodbyes which are something I've never really liked but have always found deliciously heart-wrenching. These goodbyes have much more often than not been a result of my moving to or away from "home" (which was the place where most of my worldly possessions were).
At the end of this summer, in contrast, I am not moving anywhere. I continue to reside in a house that still seems strange to me (though I've had over 6 months to get used to it). I continue to work with the same company with which I've worked for the past 6.5 months. I continue to reside a short drive from some dear friends and family members, and I continue to work with a large number of my co-workers from the summer season.
However, there are a few of my co-workers who have recently left us or who will be leaving shortly. I have often considered myself an educator and enjoy teaching, guiding, and mentoring young adults in my field. The problem with working with young adults is that many of them are still in school and one who recently proved to be a fantastic employee with initiative and leadership potential (not to mention a great work ethic and sense of humor) left this weekend to go back to college.
It reminds me a little bit of the summer of 2004 which I spent working as a projectionist at a movie theatre, and some of the novice snack bar cashiers were 16 or 17. In that case as well, it was only in the last 2 weeks I was in town that I got to know 2 of them and realize what great people they were and would grow up to be. And in the past 6 years we've kept in touch and they have indeed grown into intelligent and useful members of society.
So while I'm sad that one of my new friends is leaving (and oddly thankful for not having a chance to say goodbye), I am confident that finishing school is the right path in this case and that we will stay in touch at the very least and hopefully work together again in this very, very small world.
No comments:
Post a Comment