Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Flying Home

This past Saturday, I was fortunate to be able to attend the 25th Annual University Dancers concert. I worked on the annual concert in 2001 and 2002 as a dresser and sound operator, respectively, and I have fond memories of those performances, in particular the final piece of the evening, traditionally choreographed by the company as a collective. In 2001, the Company Number was choreographed to "Canned Heat" by Jamiroquai. In 2002, the dance was set to "Flying Home" from the Jason Robert Brown musical Songs for a New World. Both pieces, while very different in genre and style, ended beautifully with the company in a down special at center, arms up. In retrospect, not too original, but still beautiful, especially for one who had little experience with dance at the time.

In the years since, I've learned a lot more about dance. I stage managed for regional professional ballet companies for three years. I've had an ongoing relationship with an academic dance department for over two years. I've also maintained a relationship with the two dance faculty from my alma mater in the interim, in part due to my involvement in the dance industry. I watch dance with a different eye now, but I have held those two company pieces in my memory with the same care I hold every cast, crew, and play I knew in college.

At the concert on Saturday, Reed compiled a video with clips from the past 25 years of dance concerts. Some were fun and upbeat, some more topical, some more precious. As expected, I felt a wave of pride and nostalgia when the 2001 and 2002 clips were screened. And the performance was followed by a reception.

It was so lovely to see so many familiar faces: Dorothy, Walter, Reed, Myra, and Anne, of course. Phil, Gretchen, Kendra, Mike, Stevie, Melinda, Carrie, and Brett! Even my old accompanist, Joanne, was there--she played Chopin and Glass for two of the pieces. It felt like Homecoming.

Here are a few photos. I can't seem to shrink them, so feel free to click them to see them in full. I did not intend to cut anyone out of the last photo.





No comments:

Post a Comment