I made it to Virginia on the 24th in time for the traditional Christmas Eve trip to the bar and other Christmas traditions. We also revived an old tradition (in much abbreviated form) of a post-dinner performance when we presented the matriarch with her gift from the Grandchildren.
Several movies were seen, including a much-anticipated Twilight New Moon viewing with the OK ladies, Avatar in 3D and Sherlock Holmes.
The New Year was rung in properly (complete with a chance encounter with an old choral director from another city high school).
A "Sunday Linner" was had with an old friend and his entire immediate family and their spouses.
On the 4th day of the new year, I departed for the west. I stayed with friends along the way in Pittsburgh and Detroit. I decided that returning to the windy city in cold over-cast January is significantly less pretty than returning in August or September when the sun glistens off the lake and Buckhingham Fountain is running, and the lake front trail is bustling. There was no such bustle on a Wednesday in January.
I've been job hunting on the internet with my few weeks off as well as trying to see friends before going out of town again, if only for a few weeks. Also, the challenge of getting settled again in my place has been pleasantly less taxing than expected. I enjoy my new roommates, and wish I had more time to bond with them before I leave again.
Generally, I've been keen to appreciate the little things that were lacking during the fall tour:
- Making my own coffee and sipping it from a ceramic mug for as long as I like.
- Having use of a fully furnished kitchen (cooking, baking, etc)
- Watching some of my favorite DVDs (almost like visiting old friends)
- Buying furnace filters and lightbulbs.
- Actually leaving my shampoo & conditioner in the shower for more than 2 nights.
I just finished the book I'd been working on since December: Sin in the Second City by Karen Abbott, and I'm looking forward to tackling another book on my Not-Yet-Read Shelf.
I love your list! I seriously know how that feels. Making your own coffee and leaving your shampoo in the shower become such incredible luxuries when you are Out There.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are home.
less than three