Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ten Year Night

Maybe part of it was yesterday and thinking about 1999. Or maybe it was just the universe colliding exactly the right particles at the right time, but tonight was a big nostalgic trip down the WHiD memory lane. Here's a bulleted list:
  • I posted on sparc's wall that I'd be in his part of the country in August and he replied that he would be up for a micro WHiDcon with me & hush.
  • SuperGirl posted a fb status about eavesdropping on the Indigo Girls concert at Interlochen. We used to sing Indigo Girls songs together and even attended a concert with our moms once. She also sent me a text when the girls played "Closer to Fine" because that was one of our covers.
  • Pez posted a status that he was bored, and I commented, which led to another status about him missing WHiD which prompted Stones, Gork, and sparc to comment. In the meantime, I told him if he was still bored he should log onto IM, so he did and we reminisced about WHiD for a while, mostly from 1999, the year we met and became such good friends.
  • While I was chatting with pez, Mustang IMed me and we chatted a little bit--we've been trying to hang out more now that we found out we live in the same city.
I'm flooded with memories tonight of a ten-year-younger me. A young woman with nothing tying her down, just discovering her dream career, having the world in the palm of her hand, and surrounded by tight-knit circles of friends that would prove to span decades and continents.

So yeah, I'm missing WHiD and my WHiD friends a lot tonight. I don't miss the late nights and the drama, but I miss the community and unconditional love. It goes unnoticed so often and for such long stretches that I guess I find it reassuring when I get a chance to catch up with an old friend and discover that they also found the time we spent together, all those long years ago, to be special.

No comments:

Post a Comment