I've been thinking in song lyrics lately, and the title of this post is an allusion to "Summer Nights" from the musical Grease.
This week has been hard. I already wrote about the challenges of the short rehearsal period for Hunchback, but on top of it, there was some unwelcome drama with the boy which did not end well. I know he has the address for this blog, which is why I hadn't written anything sooner, but he probably is not reading my blog right now, and I also decided I don't care if he does.
For the rest of you out there in cyberspace, he broke up with me slowly and painfully, over the course of 60 torturous and uncertain hours between Tuesday and Friday last week. And while I am able to see the logic of us not really being able to be together because of distance, I understand neither his timing (just before a trip/visit), nor the ease with which he was able to give this up just because it got a little difficult.
Fortunately, in this web-dependent society, we had not declared our relationship on facebook so I didn't have to change my relationship status for all 601 of my fb friends to see. However, in the past two days I have had to block him on iChat, un-share mine and delete his shared Google calendars, delete the link to his blog on the sidebar of this blog, turn off following his blog, and forfeit a facebook Scrabble game. It's true what Neil Sedaka said--breaking up is hard to do.
I think we're both hoping we can be friends again eventually, but I'm really hurting right now and I don't know how long it'll be before I'm able to think of him without feeling hurt. He also said something about the possibility of us getting together in the same city in the future, which I'm choosing to ignore lest I waste a lot of time holding out for it.
I'm thankful for my amazingly supportive network of friends, some of whom live far away, but none of whom have any trouble with the distance.
Denise! I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I'm definitely thinking of you. Hugs!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete