Monday, October 27, 2008

Anniversary Cannolis and Other Tales of the Big Apple

I should be sleeping right now. I've had a long week (with quite the collection of bruises and scrapes to prove it) and I have an interview in the morning. But I wanted to write a little about the week I've just had traveling, loading in, teching, and opening my first New York show. First, to clarify, this is not a "Broadway" show. The theater we are playing at, the New Victory, is a non profit theater which in itself means it's not a broadway contract as it's not commercial or "for profit".

Travel last Sunday was smooth, load in and tech Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were long and hard as was expected. The invited dress Wednesday night went well, and Thursday's school show went well also. Thursday afternoon's note session was a little chaotic due to some miscommunication, but all was fine and good for Friday's opening performance.

Generally, my experience on this tour has been similar to my experience last fall when we first remounted the production in Chicago. The push through tech was rough but worth it for the joy and beauty of this show and this cast and working with this director and the amazing designers. Fortunately, I feel more supported by the crew this go-round, probably because I have an actual crew this go-round, though I do miss my ASM from last year Anna.

Monday and Tuesday nights I went down to Chinatown and the east Village, respectively, for dinners with the LD, PM, and TD. Good food and good company. Also Monday I picked up some pastries from Ferrara's on Mulberry.

My folks flew up on Thursday and I've had some fantastic meals with them, and we had a wonderful afternoon at the National Museum of Natural History at 81st and Central Park West. I looked for Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson, but they did not seem to be there--probably because it was not nighttime at the museum.

Tonight, we went for dinner at a little Italian place on Restaurant Row, and then had coffees and the pastries I bought Monday night in the lobby of their hotel. I had brought them to the theatre and left them in the fridge. We almost got to the door before I remembered, and whenthey asked what was in the fridge and I said it was a surprise, Dad said, "Some anniversary cannolis?" which indeed it was. And a couple of sfigliatelles and cookies of the pignoli and ribbon persuasion.

When I got back to the hotel, my next door neighbors and suitemates (and members of my cast) Samuel and Jeremy were having yet another conference with a door mechanic to discuss their ongoing problem of their room keys not opening the suite door, and after the mechanic left, they invited me over for a scotch. So I had a scotch and leftover cookies with them while they had cigars on the "balcony" outside their window overlooking 77th, and we talked about the show, Russian subcultures, and how we all came to be here in this amazing city doing this amazing show together once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment