Ah Divas. Let me preface by saying, this show sounds like a nightmare--39 performers who call themselves "Diva"... But it's not like that. Well, not entirely.
The theme this year is that all the music was written by the theatre's artistic director, and the music is amazing.
On Tuesday night we had a "run-thru" which was a lot of stopping and starting, and it began late, so it went over by 53 minutes. I had gotten up early that morning to move, so I was not a happy camper by 11pm, but we all make sacrifices for our art...
Tech was Wednesday and Thurs afternoon, and we got a little behind schedule, but only by 10 or so minutes. It was a little frustrating for the crew because a lot of the time was spent re-blocking or spacing which does not require tech. The dress rehearsal Thursday night went well, we actually had time to stage the bows and finish on time. It was amazing!
Friday afternoon we had some touch up rehearsals in work-light--I gave the crew the afternoon off. But it quickly turned into an additional sound tech rehearsal for one of the Divas which was not expected.
Friday night's show went well with a few very very tiny exceptions.
Saturday, we had to tech an additional piece for a Diva who had been at the Cape on vacation. So I had called the crew in an hour early to tech her song. And then when we got to her part of the show, she got stage fright and decided to pull herself from the show. I tried to assure her she could carry her music and we would give her light to see it, and she finally agreed, but she had already asked one of the ladies in the song before to tell Michael at the piano to skip her. So after the extra rehearsal and coming in an hour early, she ended up not going on. I felt a little bad for her, but moreso I felt bad for my crew who had given up an hour of their time for this woman who didn't go on.
So this brings us to today. Today is the final performance of Divas and of the summer season. Tomorrow I begin my traveling home to Chicago with stops in Monroe, CT and Elyria, OH on the way. I've been feeling too sedentary lately, and I cannot wait to hit the road tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment