Friday, June 13, 2008

Tech-day the Thirteenth That Wasn't

Hi friends.

So I was supposed to begin tech today for The Full Monty. And by "was supposed to" what that means is we didn't. We had decided a few days ago that we needed the time in the rehearsal room to work through more than we needed to jump onstage and add lights and sound and sets. It was a very good choice, I think, but it means that I begin tech tomorrow. So I'll keep this short.

In addition to it being tech this week, I moved yesterday. To the boys dormitory of a middle school boarding school. It's not bad--the room is bigger than my freshman dorm room in Lora Robins Court at UR, but it's a boys' dorm, so the bathrooms don't have trashcans and the wardrobes have limited hanging space--because 13-year-old boys don't wear a lot of dresses or floss their teeth. Despite what that makes it sound like, I'm actually glad to be there. It's quiet and there's more space and it's cleaner than the dorm "on campus," as I've taken to calling it here.

This week has been a bit nutso, however. I've been working 10am-midnight or later all week. The past two nights, I've worked until past 2am, and yesterday, as I said, I moved. So I was up unpacking until 4:30am. My ASM/intern was out today (thank goodness we didn't tech!) for her brother's graduation, and the TD was out yesterday for elective shoulder surgery (on BOTH shoulders), not to mention, the costume shop lost their intern two weeks ago, so we've been down by one in almost every department. The lighting designer, who I adore, is teaching himself to program the moving lights, so that's had a bit of a learning curve, as well.

All I can say at this point is that I'm thankful I'm working with this director right now. Bob is easy going and accommodating like no other. And these designers--teching with Chris is so fun! And this cast--the inimitable Scott Laska brought me cupcakes and blueberries today.

It's also been a rather surreal experience, this show so far. Photo shoots of the men in their underwear (which would then be photo-shopped over to make them look nude behind the show logo). Tearaway pants rehearsal today and who needs more velcro on their thong... It's particularly funny to me because one of my Montys went to high school with my brother and cousins (ps, Vinnie, Jason says hi.), and we were in Bye Bye Birdie together in 1994. Never in a million years would I have guessed we'd be here fourteen years later (not having seen each other since) with me taking blocking notes of how many hip circles and pelvic thrusts happen before the step touch step touches.

Anywhooooo, here's a little eye candy for those of you of this persuasion. These guys are incredibly talented and really good sports. From left: Michael D., Andy L., Scott L., Richard W., and Jason W.

No comments:

Post a Comment