I honestly didn't have very much to write, and then I got really busy, so here's the recap:
Tuesday, April 1, I went to a free concert at the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art). They do a first Tuesday event each month Oct-May, and this was part of that series. Jamie and Jooyoung and I saw a folk band called Cameron Gill, and they were very good. It made me miss singing and writing songs with my musician friends.
Friday, April 4, I drove to Kalamazoo, MI to attend the world premiere of Et - A Contemporary Mass composed by my friend Gordon van Gent, written for choir, orchestra, and rock band, and performed by students of Western Michigan University's Music Department. It was amazing. I still haven't been able to come up with words to describe it other than incredible and unbelievable.
Saturday, April 5, I saw The Drowsy Chaperone at the Cadillac Palace here in Chicago with my friend Justin. It was a good show, but there was a group of high school students seated behind us who seemed to be inexperienced in the ways of attending live theatre.
Sunday, April 6, I met Neil and Jooyoung and her friend Nicole downtown to wait in line to rush for Jersey Boys tickets, but we were not early enough, so we tried to get Wicked lottery tickets, but failed. We had a nice lunch at the Walnut Room in the Macy Fields, and then walked up to River East and watched the Kevin Spacey movie 21, which was a lot of fun for a Sunday afternoon.
Monday, April 7, I played Hand and Foot at Jamie and Anjali's with Jooyoung, and Anjali and I got our butts kicked. It's the worst I've ever lost by and we even won the last round. But it was still fun to play--it had been over a month since our last game, and we also got to use three new decks: the berry, lavender, and yellow decks.
Tuesday, April 8, I started my two-week job as production assistant at the Goodman Theatre. I'm helping out in rehearsals for the World Premiere of The Ballad of Emmett Till until they get to stage. And Tuesday morning they threw me into a run-thru first thing. "Baptism by fire," Tim called it in his email. Anyway, it went well, as did the rest of the week. I enjoy the cast and the rest of the stage management team a lot, and I really like the play even though there are parts of it that are really hard to watch. I'm also looking forward to being able to watch this show from the house, something I've never been able to do with a show I've worked on before. Also, I know the literary manager from when I interned at Actors Theatre, and the choreographer on the show, Gary, is one that I worked with on Nefertiti last fall!
Tuesday evening, I went out with a few friends for a bachelorette party for my old roommate Marianne. We went to one of those paint-it-yourself pottery places, and then out for margaritas and Mexican.
Wednesday, April 9, Neil got rush tickets for Jersey Boys, so we went to the evening performance. Front row, center. We were close enough to be spat on (which didn't happen very much, thankfully).
Thursday, April 10, Suzanne, Derrick and I went to see A Trip To Bountiful at The Goodman which was amazing. Then we went to Petterinos for a drink/dessert with Jamie.
Saturday, April 12, Derrick and I drove to Grand Rapids, MI for Marianne and Damon's wedding. We had a great time tearing up the dance floor with Carrie, Soule & Fraser and Emily & Nathaniel. We even got Tom and Gregg to dance! I had a blast swing dancing with Derrick--lucky I remember the basics from those swing dance nights in college and that he's a good leader. We put on quite a show!
Sunday, April 13, we got up early and drove with Gregg back to Chicago, I went straight to rehearsal, and the run-thru in the afternoon went well. I was at the grocery store and exhausted from the week, when I got the call from my dad that his Aunt Mary had passed away that afternoon, and it hit me really hard (though I'm better now).
Today, Monday, April 14, I didn't want to set my alarm, but was worried I might actually sleep all day if I didn't, so I set it for noon. I woke up at 6:15am (which is what time I got up all week), went back to sleep and woke up again at 8:30 and finally got up at about 9:15. I went out for lunch with Andrea, picked up the photos I had printed at the grocery store last night, and mailed my state income tax check to Springfield. Did laundry, and baked chicken so I can make my chicken and white bean chili this evening. Also, it's my mother's birthday.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!
No comments:
Post a Comment