Tuesday, October 18, 2005

My First Load In!

Well, today was a combination of very productive and somewhat not.

I slept in a little this morning, then watched last night's Desperate Housewives with my mocha frappucino and cinnamon life cereal.

Headed downtown around 11:45 and ran a few errands before my 1:00 call.

Load in was great. I got to meet a lot of people, and the backstage wasn't as complicated as it could have been what with the 4 levels of dressing rooms. (On a side note, I would have to say that Actors Theatre has the most complicated backstage area(s)--my favorite part of that maze was the spiral staircase that goes all the way from the basement near the wig room to the VJ booth. /side note)

There are a lot of little things that I wish I'd known/done last year because they would have made my life easier. For example, covering spikes (or centers and quarters) if they're not used for a ballet. putting tiny slices of glow tape over the white tape for centers and quarters and then covering it all with clear vinyl tape. Claiming a dressing room as a production office. Also, there are ways to make everyone's lives easier: the legs are always 8 feet apart and quarters are always at 10 feet. We always put eights US and DS, the DS light line is on the same plane as the first set of legs. There are tissue box holders C-clamped to the 2nd light cages SR and SL. There are calf-strechers on both sides of stage. They had radios for Joffrey staff (which reminded me of the ATL sound and LX depts). Needless to say, it was certainly a very educational day. I had fun, too. I always have good chats with the sound guy and I went to dinner with the Master Carp, 2 Electricians, TD/Lighting Supervisor, etc. And I spied a cutie carpenter!

And then Katherine let me leave early, so I could come home and get some rest because tomorrow is going to be a very, very long day.

Of course, then I was pissed off when the Dunkin Doughnuts by my train station was closed before 11pm. I thought I lived in a city!

:)

2 comments:

  1. OMG Dunkin Donuts was CLOSED blasphany. Yes I live in New England home of DD where they never close and theres one every three store fronts. Did you know that Rhode Island has the largest per capita concentration of Dunkins in the world. Which quite frankly leads me to wonder just where they put every other buisness in the state because I can't imagine a higer concentration of them than we have. In the 6 block radius from our theatre there is 4 count them 4 dd's and thats counting the one IN THE HOSPITAL. There are two that I swear have to share a back alley way with eachother. So yes you live in a hick mid-western town if you can't get a cup of the worlds best coffee after 11pm. I feel your pain I got addicted then spent the summer in Ithaca where the closest one is an hour away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad there are none here in Louisville...:-(

    ReplyDelete