Sunday, August 28, 2005

Weekend in the Midwest

I have a song called "Weekend in New England" in my head because my roommate is a Manilow fan, hence the post title.

Here's what I did this weekend in Chicago:
1. Saturday 8am Bikram Yoga class (that's where you do it in a 100-degree room) and then brunch at Ann Sathers (mmm potato pancakes!) with my friend Nevette.
2. Looked at 4 possible apartments and decided that the 2-bedrooms are the way to go. In addition to being bigger, they tended to have more light, hardwood floors (as opposed to carpet), and more interestingly shaped rooms than the one-bedrooms.
3. Grocery Shopping - probably because of the yoga, but I bought a bunch of veggies and made Pasta Primavera for dinner with the roommate. We ate at the table like grown ups with placemats and napkins and wine. (Incidentally, Monkey Bay Savignon Blanc from New Zealand: excellent.)
4. Laundry (technically, this was before dinner, but still).
5. Sunday went to Hyde Park with Amy. We got to the Museum of Science and Industry by 10:30 and they don't even open until 11, but they still didn't have tickets earlier than 2:15, and since she had to be at church at 2, we walked around, went to this little park on the lake (and dipped our feet in Lake Michigan!), and split an order of pot stickers and an order of crab rangoon for lunch.
6. Found the 2 sets of pictures I'd been looking for for the past 2 weeks--they were in my car. So, I put the new 4 rolls of pictures into my photo album, filling it up so I now need to buy a new one for my Chicago Adventure.
7. I'm working on a summer 2005 mix, so I ripped a couple songs from my CDs, but I'm still not done yet. It just feels like something's missing.
8. 4pm Bikram Yoga class. I was pretty sore after yesterday, but they told me I should go back as soon as I could, and Nevette says I should aim for 6 classes/week for 6 weeks. We'll see if that's possible.

So, yeah, I was pretty productive this weekend. Next weekend I have an out-of-town visitor for the first time, so I can do more touristy stuff. I've already done a bit of research as to what we should do!

Also, re: the 2-bedroom apts, I've been talking with the wardrobe supervisor about being roommates when her lease is up in October. I figure Renee will get a kick out of that!

And I'm kinda enjoying this myspace.com thing. I've been reconnecting with a bunch of old co-workers from the movie theatre. Granted some of them are still in high school, but it's still nice to be remembered.

And I'm reading this really great book. It's a collection of columns by Mike Royko. He's a local hero here in Chicago, and he wrote for 4 decades in 3 various newspapers. I'm learning a lot of local history and politics. I probably know more about Chicago history and politics right now than I do about my hometown!

1 comment:

  1. It's either $10 or $15, I can't remember, but I'll split the cost with you because I go for free!

    ReplyDelete