Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The El: My first (anti-climactic) experience on the Elevated Train

Okay, I know I'm just being picky and splitting hairs here, but I rode on 3 trains today and all of them were underground. So much for riding an "Elevated Train," stupid CTA.

That said, the rest of my day was the super-fantastic:
Firstly, I went to the Art Institute as it was Tuesday and it was free! I didn't have a lot of time, so I just hit the Impressionist rooms and some architecture. I saw a lot of Monet (notably the Water Lilies and the Japanese bridge), some Manet, Degas, Cezanne, Van Gogh, and the big Seurat "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte." Luckily, songs from Sondheim's Sunday in the Park With George went away when I shifted gears to architecture. There were stones from old Chicago buildings and several stained glass windows (notably the Tree of Life window from Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin House which I toured when I lived in Buffalo!).

After that, I went to the studio, which is in the heart of the theatre district. Yay! It's on the 19th and top floor of its building, and I can see the Oriental where Wicked is playing a block and a half away from our windows. My supervisor is very cool. She kinda looks like me, too, which is kinda scary: we're the same height, similar build, and we both have long wavy/curly brown hair. She wears glasses that resemble mine, but I wear my contacts most of the time, so I'm not worried about that. Anyway, we went to lunch around the corner and we're both super-excited about me starting on Monday!

Next, I hopped on the CTA Red Line north to Grand and then walked almost a mile to the Navy Pier (and another almost half-mile each direction to the end and back). While I was there, I visited the Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows which featured works by Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan, John LaFarge and Louis Comfort Tiffany. I was sort of dead tired by then, so I will have to go back with my mom or someone else who likes stained glass.

I had an iced coffee on the free shuttle back to the Loop and, having gotten my second wind, decided to try for the lottery for cheap tickets to Wicked. Sadly, my name was not drawn, but I did make friends with the girl next to me, and we agreed that if either of us was picked, we'd give the second ticket to the other. Sadly, her name was not drawn either, so I went to TJMaxx (which is next door to the studio) because I needed a smaller bag to carry to and from work every day now that I know I won't be carting my iBook around with me. I got one with lots of pockets, snaps and zippers. Dad would be proud. :)

Then I caught the CTA Blue Line back to Division (only 4 stops!) and returned to reality. TV, that is. The new roomie watches a ton of it for research, so I've seen the past two nights of Rockstar: INXS that she's Tivo-ed, among other things.

And I'm spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment