Friday night, the party was fun, not crazy, real laid-back. The scientists were very impressed with my job (which is interesting because I forget that it can be impressive). Saturday, we went to Harvest Moon Cafe for brunch (yum!) and then I hit the road around 12. I was very impressed (I need to buy a thesaurus) with the travel plazas on the Ohio turnpike. I stopped at two of them and they felt more like airport terminals or shopping malls than rest stops.
The PA turnpike was painful. Probably because I was on it for almost 200 miles and the weather got nasty towards the end. The worst part of the trip, however, was after the Breezewood exit when it was pouring and really foggy. Visibility was crap and I was constantly trying to get a stronger NPR signal because Garrison Keillor was broadcasting from Norfolk and my cousins were in the audience. But I did hear the whole show (except the first 6 min) and it was great! "Cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women!"
I pulled up in front of Erin's apartment at about 8pm Saturday, we hung out til around 9, then went to this bar Nick's for pub food and drinks (I had a remarkably good Buffalo chicken wrap). Erin wouldn't let me pay for anything (at the bar or for the taxis or anything). It was good to see her, though. I hadn't seen her since Steve & Laura's wedding last year. And her sister Michelle was around, too, who I hadn't seen since graduation 3 years ago. Also hanging out with us that night were Erin's roommate Andy, this couple Chris and Meredith, their friend Holly, and another couple Brian and Nikki. It was like being back in school--staying up late, eating party foods (honey roasted peanuts, chips & salsa, and microwave popcorn!), and watching movies.
Sunday, I hit the road at 1:30pm and pulled up to the house at 4:45. (Nice!) There was some traffic when I first merged onto I-95, so I was afraid it was going to be a long drive, but it went by quite quickly. Unloaded a little, then we went to dinner at Vivo Cucina before the Mozart Requiem at the church Mom was singing in. Saw Jesse & Shannon and Aunt Laura & Uncle Tom there as well as some familiar faces from the church.
And today I'm taking a break. I think I'm justified for not wanting to get in the car for several days.
And so, in conclusion:
Gasoline.....................................$82.11
Turnpike tolls (OH & PA).............$16.20
The experience of driving 1,059 miles across 6 states on 11 interstate highways by myself........priceless
No comments:
Post a Comment