Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Anticlimactic, yet funny

About five years ago, I read Feel this Book by Ben Stiller and Jeneane Garafalo. It was pretty entertaining as it mocked those "Self Help" books, and shortly thereafter, I discovered that Jimmy Fallon had written one with his sister called I Hate This Place: The Pessimist's Guide to Life. Since at the time I thought Jimmy Fallon could do no wrong, I searched for the book in every bookstore I went to, on Amazon.com and Borders online. Every time I got a gift card, the first thing I'd do is check the book's availability and it never worked out for me. Until 2 1/2 weeks ago, when I found it 50% off at Urban Outfitters in Ann Arbor. So I bought it, and the other night I read the whole thing in about 15 minutes. Obviously, a 5-year build up turning out as a 15-minute easy read doesn't lend itself well to impressing me, but it did teach me one thing: I thought I was a pessimist, sometimes I think I still am, but for the most part, now I know I'm not really. Also, it had some funny things to say which I might have used as Away Messages when I was in college. Such as:

"Growing up, I always wanted to be just like Abe Lincoln. Dead."

"Sometimes I wish I'd had a terrible childhood, so that at least I'd have an excuse."

"When my parents told me that there was no Santa Claus, I wasn't surprised. Once I had found out all the other kids got presents from this "Santa," I put two and two together."

"Don't Put Off 'Til Tomorrow What You Can Do Today. And if you die in your sleep tonight, you wasted your last day on Earth doing laundry."

No comments:

Post a Comment