I went to the chorus concert at my old high school tonight. I don't normally go to these; I'm not one of those people who can't move on past high school, but I'm still really good friends with my old choir director, and she told me on Sunday this was her last concert, so I wanted to be there to support her. (Sorry for the run-on.)
The first person I ran into in the lobby was Paul, a 17-year-old I worked with at the movie theatre last summer, so he and I decided we would sit together since neither of us thought we'd know anyone else there. Once inside the auditorium, I proved myself wrong. There was Stephanie, class of 96, who had to show me pictures of her four children; Matt, class of 99 1/2, I think, who went on to father 3 children, the most recent of which was with Stephanie's sister--this is ironic because Matt & Stephanie dated in 95; Matt's sister Lora, a sophomore, who was around all the time when her mom and I volunteered to work tech on the summer musical at the Little Theatre 4 years ago--she and I have been penpals ever since, but she's certainly not 12 anymore and she had a spotlight, AND it was a song that I love! Kyle, class of 04, the youngest of three brothers to all sing in the choirs, whose oldest brother graduated with me and the last time I saw that whole family was at his wedding a year ago; another Matt, class of 02, who I only know because he was friends with the middle brother of the previous family and my first summer after college, I hung out a lot with those boys; and Felicia, class of 2000, who told me I could have a copy of her CD for free if I stop by her dad's church and introduced me to her husband of 4 years. Paul told me I "know everyone" but he was particularly impressed that I knew his friend McKenzie (from Camp Turtle Trap 12 years ago).
And, of course, there was Wendy, the director. She was a mess of tears at the end of the concert, but she, Felicia, I and some younger alums chatted for a while in the choir room afterward.
I know it's kinda immodest, but I really enjoyed telling Paul how I started "What I Did For Love" and was second in "One Voice" when I was a senior and showing him where my name is on a plaque on the wall from when I received the Director's Award, and it was also cool to see Derek's name on the Outstanding Senior plaque next to it. But even more was looking at the names that have been added in the 7 years since, and how many of them I recognized--mostly only last names.
So even though I alone represented my graduating class, I noticed a bond among all alums that was sort of timeless. And it felt good for one night to remember what it was like to be in high school choir--particularly for me, having been a teacher's pet and being favored and also being renowned as one of the most talented--and how immature and uneducated we were back then. Felicia and I agreed: we thought we were so good, we thought we knew everything. And now, in the 20/20 rearview mirror, we know how big idiots we were then! Also, it was nice to tell Felicia about Jen, Austin, Nick & Derek, and find out about Liz and Preston, but I'm glad it was only one night. It made me realize how lucky I've been, how far I've come, and how much I've matured. And just so everyone's clear, there is life after high school.
No comments:
Post a Comment