The (Job) Hunt Continues
So, after my interview yesterday with TriArts in CT, I got a voice mail from a performing arts school and camp in Steamboat Springs, CO (which, as you may recall, was where I went for the family ski trip in January). I scheduled a phone interview for Friday at 1 so as not to conflict with the conference call with CT at 11 or the apartment I'm looking at on N. Hite at 9:30. Wowza, Friday's gonna be crazy!
And I just saw an ad that the Joffrey is looking for SMs. If I were sure I wanted to be a ballet stage manager, the Joffrey would be near the top of my list. I'm really tempted to send my resume, though, I'd have to have a long chat with Mike and Bruce first (since I'd definitely want to use them as references, but not want them to think I want to leave). Or, maybe this is just what they need to realize how much they want me to stay. I could just tell them I sent my resume "on a whim." But, oh, I've always wanted to go to Chicago! I've only seen the inside of two airports there.
(Lake Effect) Swans
So, this afternoon went okay. Bruce figured out that he can give the men notes during the second intermission if they're not in Act 4 to allow for more time for swan notes. But at least we got to run everything for the crew (and me). Half of my dinner break went to driving Bruce home, but he said he'd pay for my dinner if I did, so that worked out (with my per diem, that's like two free meals). Tonight was first orchestra rehearsal. We got through everything, but we had to start over Erica's variation in the Pas de Trois, and we had to stop and completely do over Evgueny's variation in Act 3. He threw a little diva fit, and wardrobe and I were surprised that Bruce didn't lose it. Mike is going crazy because Bruce keeps going on about side light on the swans' legs, but Mike can't get the focus wide enough, so there's too much shadow for Bruce. He's renting 8 new lights in the morning, and I don't envy the electricians all the other focus notes they have as well. I'm doing okay with my cues--still getting used to not calling Gos for the followspots, but I keep telling myself once I get used to it, it'll be so much easier. We are only using 2 of the 4 (really expensive rented) fog machines for the top of Act 2 because Bruce doesn't want it to look like the prince is running through the lake. And we had to put the downstage blackout drop back into the shift into Act 2, so we have to add a rail guy and put Fly E back in my paperwork. I'm so thankful for Janice and Helen. Helen was out last night, and just hearing her voice through Mike's intercom in the house was such a calming influence. And Janice is so gentle with the girls; she's so understanding of how hard this show is on them, but at the same time she's so genuinely nice that they want to work hard and do it right for her. Or at least that's how I would feel.
I've been thinking about getting little airplane-size liquor bottles for the company women as a sort of end-of-season/you-got-through-Swan-Lake gift. But, the boys did include me in their post-show shot last time, so I don't want to exclude them, but that's the difference between 12 and 25. I can't afford it. And not the trainees except maybe I'd include Jessica G because I at least know she's 21 and she's coming back next season. So 13. I don't know. I don't know how much those things even cost. Or what kinds I'd get for the women. Or how I'd give them to some without the rest of them feeling left out. But I can be sneaky if I need to.
Okay, gonna stop rambling and go to sleep now. It's been a rather long day. And man can Act 4 drag on at 9:30 at night! (I want to know what's going to happen Friday night when Act 4 doesn't start until 10:20pm. Those poor girls...)
No comments:
Post a Comment