Friday, April 08, 2005

Remember when Kerri Strug vaulted her team to the gold against all odds?

That's what Act IV felt like tonight.

All week, Bruce kept asking for more and more fog for the top of Act IV, so tonight, I started the fog before the tune since last night I started the fog with the tune and it wasn't enough for him. For whatever reason (the water was too hot, we think, and all the dry ice melted too soon), when the curtain went out, we had less fog than last night. And, to make matters worse, since the machines had run out of dry ice, they were just blowing hot wet air onto my dance floor. Lara slipped twice. Stephanie went over her ankle. They both say they're okay, but oh my God that was the scariest thing I've seen since Erica broke her foot onstage last year! I mean, I've got 18 girls out there in pointe shoes, and a thin layer of fucking water (pardon my language) on the non-rosin floor, and there wasn't anything I could do. I kept my shit together, just kept calling cues, they kept dancing, and we got through it somehow, but damn, those girls deserve more praise and glory and adoration and respect than I even know how to bestow.

Except for Jessica. Jessica is my Achilles' Heel in the calling of this show. She's the Vision Swan (or V. Swan, for short) in the prologue and Act III, and she's supposed to enter on a musical cue that times out with my cue so she walks into her light. But she was there when her light came up tonight in Act III. Both. Times. God bless Janice, she came backstage and told me she made sure Mike knew why that looked wrong. For the second V. Swan cue, I'm going to keep calling as normal and if she's early again, she'll just look stupid, but for the first one, we have a contingency plan worked out so Kim will tell me when she starts onto the platform.

I, however, called a perfect show except for the scrim and its light cue at the top of Act II which were half a second early. But I can live with that. And Mike said it was fine anyway.

Phew! I hope my brother's T. Island opening went better than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment