Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Last Five Years

Somehow, I made it to Chris's play this afternoon in New Albany. It was The Last Five Years by Jason Robert Brown who wrote Songs for a New World. I remember Pablo used to play it all the time in the Bensinger Building when I was interning and Chris told me he likes the music better than SfaNW, but I didn't really know the show at all.

It was fabulous. I laughed, I cried. (Probably because I'm so damn tired, but still.) It's about this couple and the five years they were together and everything that complicated their relationship and why they got divorced. It moves chronologically for the man, and backwards for the woman, so while one is going on about the fighting and trying to make it work, the other is excited about this new relationship. The music was great, the singing was great, the lyrics were honest and real.

No comments:

Post a Comment