I went to Kentucky Opera's production of Madama Butterfly tonight. My friend Neil was an extra, my friend Richard was the stage manager, and my friend Chad was a minor principal. I actually really like Puccini, but have never seen Butterfly (though I have seen Miss Saigon, so that counts for something!). Anyway, during intermission, I snuck downstairs to the musicians level and chatted with Adrienne, and after the show, I snuck backstage and said hi to Richard, Neil, the house crew (Terry (who needs to stop hitting on me), Billy, Earl, Joe B., and Danny), and then I waited by the call board for Chad or Neil, whoever got out first.
So, here's the story with Chad: Two summers ago I did opera in Aspen, and was mostly miserable, but towards the end of the summer, Chad became my favorite of the singers. He had gone to school at U of L, and we bonded over Heine Bros. Coffee, Graeter's Ice Cream, and the fact that we had the same area code on our cell phones. Fast forward to last October (a full year + a few months since I'd last seen him): I'm walking around Lincoln Center with my brother after his meeting, and I run into Chad on the street who tells me he's going to be in town for Butterfly in March, etc. I store this information in the back of my head and forget it. Richard does a show with us in November, and I mention that I'd run into Chad in NY and plant the seed in his mind (and also establish first contact with anyone at the opera). This is all sort of standard so far: he's kinda from the area, so it makes sense that he's coming back, not a big deal, and I'm looking forward to seeing him. Here's the small world kicker: last month, as I may have mentioned, one of my church choir singers has an extra ticket for the opera, so I go and mention that I'm looking forward to seeing Butterfly because a friend of mine is coming into town for it. "You don't mean Chad, do you?" Huh? Apparently, he used to sing at the church I've been singing at. So, last week at choir rehearsal, I find out that Chad is going to be singing a duet the morning of the 20th. This pisses me off because I'm going to be out of town this weekend. So, when I called Neil on Saturday to invite him out for my birthday, I told him to say hi to Chad for me and to mention Aspen if he didn't remember.
So, I'm standing by the callboard for (what seems like) ever when I see Chad. I let him get through the cast with their plan-making for after rehearsal, etc., and then I walk over and tap him on the shoulder. He exclaims my name, we hug, and do a little catching up. Now, I'm even more upset I'm going to miss Sunday. But I did invite him to the birthday thing Friday, and he seemed to really want to go, though I doubt he'll remember.
And, incidentally, 2 days!
By the way, special thanks to Andrea and Julie who's birthday-related things arrived in the mail today.
No comments:
Post a Comment