Thursday, March 10, 2005

Musings on Friendship, Part II

I was thinking this afternoon--sometimes our job as friends is not to be "understanding" and make our friends happy, but to do what's best for them in the long run. A good example for me is that in addition to everything else, one thing I love and respect about my best friend Julie is that she won't hesitate to call me out when I'm being dumb and need to be told. And on the subject of friendship:

"Sometimes I see myself fine,
Sometimes I need a witness.
And I like the whole truth,
But there are nights, I only need forgiveness.
Sometimes they say, "I don't know who you are,
But let me walk with you some."
And I say, "I am alone, that's all.
You can't save me from all the wrong I've done."
But they're waiting just the same
With their flashlights and their semaphores.
And I act like I have faith and like that faith never ends,
But I really just have friends."
-Dar Williams, "My Friends," End of the Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment