- Received a very positive evaluation at work stating that I was a significant contributor and that I "have a knack" for a critical part of my job.
- Driven 6 hours (round trip) to see friends and old co-workers from last summer, gotten in free (and accidentally went backstage) at a SeaWorld park.
- Driven 4 hours (round trip) to have brunch with a friend and old co-worker just back from a cross-country drive who spent the summer working with another friend and old classmate of mine.
- Celebrated 6 months at my "new" job.
- Experienced my first earthquake. While in the 5th floor catwalk at work.
- Held my supervisor's feet down as he worked over the edge of the 4th floor catwalk.
- Driven 7 hours (round trip) to have dinner with 3 of my best friends from high school and my dad. Over the years, I've seen some of them more regularly and recently than others, but the last time we were all together, we wouldn't have been able to order beers at dinner.
- Received (and answered) a video chat from a friend 1,000 miles away (and 4 awesome mutual friends!)
- Rode out the wrath of Hurricane Irene in my childhood home, a block and a half from the Atlantic Ocean. In a lull in the rain a few hours before the worst of it, I walked down to the beach with my dad and gazed out into the oncoming storm. Luckily, we only lost power for a few hours overnight, and there was no serious damage on our street.
- Had dinner with a friend and old classmate who is visiting my current city where he is doing freelance work at my current place of employment.
On my drive home today, I had a realization that I am incredibly fortunate to have the relationships and experiences (earthquakes and hurricanes and blizzards, oh my!) I've had and to have come out relatively unscathed from them all. I'm so thankful for my amazing family, extraordinary and lasting friendships, and unparalleled work and travel opportunities. Even in the unlikely event my life suddenly becomes simple and boring from this point forward, I still feel that I've had a full and enriched life thus far. My good luck is not lost on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment