At work today, I was invited to my co-worker's wife's gallery exhibition opening this evening. I'd seen it on my supervisor's Google calendar, but didn't know much about where it was, so I was thankful for the afterthought invitation because it involved receiving the flier via email.
The artist was painting realism almost exclusively up until about a year ago when she started painting abstract. Her pieces for this show were squares and rectangles in bright bold colors. Some of the squares appeared to have charcoal lines below the paint, but it was the colors of the paint that jumped out at me. I particularly liked a piece she titled Neighborhood. I'll see if I can dig up the link.
Additionally, one of the flute graduate teaching assistants offered to play for the 2-hour reception, and it was a wonderful supplement to the visual art. The weather had cooled off, and the windows in the arts council building were open. The horse and buggy passed the window several times making circles around the historic downtown (I learned tonight that the horses' names are Sonny and Cher).
I had a great chat with my co-worker's daughter. She just returned from almost a year in Europe between high school and college, and she aspires to be a film actress, so we had a lot to talk about. I was also pleasantly surprised to see my supervisor at the opening along with his wife and mother-in-law. His wife is due in less than two weeks, and I hadn't seen her in almost a month!
After the opening, I was invited to dinner with the artist and her husband, his daughter, and the flute player. We had a lovely little supper, and the next thing I knew it was almost 10:00 when I was arriving home from my day.
What a fantastic ending to my week!
No comments:
Post a Comment