Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Spam Scam

Ok, so my first craigslist ad elicited one response from a 1/2 British 1/2 Asian girl named Anna in the UK. See part of her email:

I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5'7' straight. I always love to go on date but seldom party. I swim for fun and sometimes play tennis. I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the place,as i can't see it before my arrival .i will also need to see the pictures...Attached is my picture ,just to give you a clue of who you are renting to.I hope you like it,i am not a picture loving person though.

I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furniture,please let me know if there will be room for them?


Then I posted the ad for the full condo, got one email, replied, but never heard back.

This is one response from the third posting, from a French girl named Sandra in South Dakota, who has a very similar writing style and word choice as Anna. See part of her email here:

More about me again i am a nurse..I am the neat type,I like honest,responsible,trustworthy and hardworking people while I dislike lazy,messy,uncaring people and I love pets so much,am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 5"5' straight. i like tourising and,i don't keep late nights neither will i have overnight guest around, but i am okay if you do,I was born and bread in France as there was where i had my university education and stays with my uncle there!!

I must confess am comfortable with the price and I will want to secure the place down before my arrival so i will want you to tell me all about the place,as i can't see it before my arrival but the pictures...I also will want you to know that i have my car that i will be coming over with,and little of my furnitures,please let me know if there will be room for them..


Qua? Seriously?

So I'm trying to figure out what the scam is here... they win me over with their unique take on grammar, send me a deposit and rent and then what? Sell my belongings? Sort through my junk mail credit card offers and steal my identity? And why didn't anyone catch that it was the exact same ad and maybe I might catch the copy-pasted response?

1 comment:

  1. That is super bizarre. maybe they were going to try to get your checking account info to "make the deposit" or something...

    ReplyDelete