Sunday, October 30, 2005

Save the Daylight. SAVE IT!

Hi kids,

Okay, I'm going to try to type fast because it's late and I wanted to make sure I wrote this before I forget to because there's some pretty funny and distinctly "Chicago" things I've experienced in the past few days.

So, Friday morning was the ticker tape parade for our World Champion White Sox which is silly if you ask me because the rest of the world doesn't play baseball, so they're really just national champs. Anyway... my call at the studio was 2pm, so I was on a train at 1ish when the parade was finishing up and the train went really slowly crossing the Chicago River and I couldn't help myself from stepping toward the window to peer out at the vast sea of pedestrians on the closed off streets along LaSalle. I got off at Washington and at least a whole block on either side of LaSalle (as well as LaSalle itself) was ankle-deep with ticker tape. The crowds were so happy, but the black and white tissue paper confettie for the Sox was still floating down from above and I couldn't help comparing the sight to the images I remember of 9/11. How odd.

Part II: Walking down Michigan toward the theatre Friday afternoon, two men walked past me painted from head to toe in silver. They must've been two of those men who stand in touristy locations and move around like robots or whatever when people toss coins into their buckets, but there they were, walking down the street, chatting away.

Part III: I ate dinner last night at My Thai which I'd been meaning to try for some time now. The food was quite good, the service was acceptable, and the place was quiet--just what I needed. Then all of a sudden, in the middle of my dinner, I realize the song that just came on the system is a muzack version of "My Heart Will Go On." You know, the theme from Titanic. As if that wasn't enough, the next song that came on was "I Swear" by All 4 One, circa 1994.

Part IV: Tonight is Daylights Savings. Please do your part to save the daylight. Like it's some kind of endangered animal or something?

Part V: I was looking in the playbill from this program and there's a little interview story with a woman named Bakista King who I worked with in Buffalo. What a small world!?

Part VI: I think I'm getting a cold. This sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment