Sunday, September 11, 2005

Belle nuit

Rehearsal yesterday was scheduled to end at 4pm, so we were looking forward to getting out early. Still, we were pleasantly surprised when the company was released at 3:15. I was out the door by 3:30, and reading my Mike Royko book in Millenium Park shortly thereafter when I heard orchestral music wafting through the foliage. The piece was familiar to me, so I played that game with myself--the one where you see how quickly you can name the piece, composer, and if it's part of a larger work. (I do this with classical music--my father plays this game with the 50's & 60's station on satellite radio where he can also tell you the name of the album and what year it was released.) Anyway, the piece was the Barcarolle from Tales of Hoffman by Offenbach. I'm not really all that impressed that I knew it because it's so popular, but it's still a pretty duet, and I meandered closer to the Pritzker and listened to the rehearsal while reading until Neil called and I met up with him.

After coffees with Neil, I went up to Hubbard Street where the JB was hosting a Happy Hour event for the staff and company at Rockits. The mango martinis were the popular drink of the evening (our staff accountant had 8 or 9 in 60 minutes). I stayed to chat once the open bar became a cash bar and went along with the group going to Rumba where I had a mojito (mmm!) and empanadas before taking a turn on the dance floor salsa dancing with Matthew. Good times.

Today was pretty laid back, and this evening I went to Millenium Park for the opera performance. It was a sort of season kickoff event with highlights (recitative, arias & duets) from the upcoming season performed by some big name singers like Nathan Gunn and Denyce Graves. The repertory was wonderful. I knew several pieces (mostly from my Aspen gig), and wished I knew others. There was a particularly beautiful aria from Samson et Delila by Camille Saint-Saens which made me wish I could see the entire opera right now. I met Neil and his roommate there and we had a lovely simple picnic of cheese, crackers, demi-baguette, apples, pears, and wine. Unfortunately, I decided to break in my new Bandolinos tonight and my feet are not happy with me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment