This is the part where I don't want to leave.
I don't think of myself as a beach girl, a southern belle, or whatever. But this is the only place I can say I'm a local, and I know I take that for granted. This afternoon, I sat on the beach for a couple hours, chatting with neighbors, people-watching, nursing a Corona with lime, half-heartedly starting to read Cherries in the Snow. And it was so nice. I've probably told about this more than anyone wants to hear, but I stopped going to the beach when I was 14 because I got all self-conscious and teenagery, but also because I started to hate having sand all over everything. So it's still quite weird for me to enjoy the beach and it always surprises me when I have a good time there. Today, I didn't want to leave. I wanted to be able to go back tomorrow for a couple more hours, and the next day and the next and slowly get back the "healthy glow" to my "olive" skin, not burn or get really brown right away, just gradually. I wanted the luxury of sitting still, not in front of the TV, but out in the sunlight and the breeze, and not having anywhere else to be or rush off to.
Anyway, I know I have to get over it. I can't have the beach and continue in my profession. Maybe I will more seriously consider settling down here when I'm done being an intrepid polytopian, but in the meantime it's a nice rest-stop on the turnpike of life.
Dossie said something on the beach today: "This is why we live here the other nine months of the year." I looked at her like she'd gone crazy. This place doesn't get that cold. It's not like you have Buffalo winters and lake effect snow that last until April to balance it out--they have at least 6 months of mild--if not downright warm--weather. I just takes a little while for the grass to look green enough to be pretty.
I'm leaving in a week, and I don't know when I'll be back or for how long, but it's enough to know this place will always be here. I have family and friends who will stay here. And I have memories that will remain forever.
Okay, that's enough of that bull for now. Sorry to bore you with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment