Sunday, June 19, 2005

Lady of Spain I Adore You

Our second day of rehearsal was quite productive. We only had 3 Plaids again today because of Ben's Toronto audition, but it wasn't the same 3 as yesterday which means we finally met Billy. The entire rehearsal before dinner was music, which is pretty quiet for Katie and I, but then we got very busy. Erik had all our props in the hall by the start of dinner, so we brought them in and organized for staging Ed Sullivan, then talked through everything with Erik and Mark. We both ate really fast once rehearsal started while Mark was showing the guys clips from the Ed Sullivan show, and then we tackled the most hectic part of the show.

For those of you who don't know Forever Plaid (or Plaid Tidings, for that matter), the Ed Sullivan bit consists of Jinx standing at a mic down center wearing a sombrero, playing the accordian, and singing Lady of Spain. While he sings, Frankie, Sparky & Smudge alternate running on and off stage with various props performing various variety acts like plate spinning and juggling as well as impressions. In performance, I'll have 2 run crew for this, but in rehearsal it's just me and Katie and I think handing off props every 10 seconds while taking blocking was probably the most challenging thing I've done in a long long time. But it was also extremely exhilarating.

In case it's not glaringly obvious, I'm really excited about this show. I had so much fun doing Plaid Tidings so I have high expectations, and the past two days have been very productive. I think we're all a little nervous about having an abbreviated rehearsal period, but the mood in the rehearsal room has been quite positive, particularly considering we've never heard our entire quartet. Tuesday should be very exciting!

2 comments:

  1. I didnt realize that Forever Plaid was your show this summer. Is it nice to not have the playwrite in and bopping accross the country for it? Have fun.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally.
    Although, my director here knew the Frankie and Jinx from Buffalo as well as the pianist and Dale. Tis a small world in PlaidLand!

    ReplyDelete