Friday, April 01, 2005

Swan Lake Update & Dan-Proofing

So, yeah, Swan Lake is 86,000 hours long and there's all kinds of drama about going into orchestra overtime and how to minimize that (by shaving 5 minutes off 3 of the 4 intermissions Saturday, cutting Helen's cell phone announcement altogether, having Maestro start at the podium rather than walk to it, etc). Kim, who's is my stage left ASM on this show, leaned over to me at the run-thru this morning and whispered, "If they're so concerned about how long this is, why doesn't he cut some of these bows?" I think Bettina bows at least 20 times before the actual curtain call. And they're really long bows, too.

And Mike still isn't sure of some of the light cues. This afternoon, he would come into my office from watching the video and ask things like, "Do you have a cue 49?" And I would say, "I don't think so," look in my book and add, "But it's a follow to 48." Poor guy, he's juggling an old preliminary cue sheet from Texas, but a lot of those were cut, so he's a little confused.

And we had an injury today: Cari rolled her ankle during class and I had to find transportation for her to Baptist Hospital East for an appointment, then when she called 90 min later, I found her a ride from the Hospital to the physical therapist. I missed 10 minutes of Act II, but I saw an extra Act II at the open rehearsal, so I wasn't too worried. Apparently, it's a second degree sprain, she's got a compression boot, and an appointment at 10am tomorrow when we'll know more (specifically if she'll be able to dance on it). I'm a little nervous because she doesn't have a cover listed on the provisional cast list and she's the front swan on the SL line. I'm also a little nervous because the women are so tired right now that I'm worried there could be more injuries from being so exhausted.

And on a completely different subject, I have Dan-proofed the blog (which really only meant minor editing of 7 or so posts), just so I don't have to remember to do it years from now when I decide to give him the address and it won't matter anymore anyway. Also, I think it might be really effective to use a Code Name for him, so if he happens to find it himself, he won't know I was writing about him. I was thinking Nad, like, spelling his name backwards. Or MD, that's what my friend Sara and I used to do in high school--reverse someone's initials. Yeah, he'd never break that code!

Oh, who am I kidding? No one else around here has a nickname! Dan sure as hell doesn't need one.

Also, I know it's lame that I edited my blog for him, but those of you who read the original posts know that it's not just him I'm protecting, and I am trusting in your discretion, dear readers, not to allude to the things I deleted. (And yes, I know that it's a double standard for me to have issues with people who withhold things from me in an effort to protect me when I am doing just that. I know, but I can't help it. I guess I want to believe that I can keep those things hidden forever and there won't be the big fallout that inevitably happens when those sorts of things are found out.)

And just to get it out of my system so it's not bothering me all this weekend and next week with Swan Lake, I feel so emotionally exhausted after the week I have had. I like to believe I am really strong, but when I'm thrust into conversations and situations like I have been this week, I become so emotionally over-exposed that I don't have the energy to pretend everything is normal. In other words, I try to be all Independent Woman-y and prove that I can make it on my own, but I need friends, I need family, I need a little time and space for myself (which I haven't had because of the open rehearsal and the magic playing the past 2 nights). In short, I am not that strong.

Blah, blah, blah, blah. I really need to stop beginning my sentences with coordinating conjunctions. There are 7 other parts of speech to choose from. I'll make a conscious effort in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment