Wednesday, January 19, 2005

job? career? life? splah!

I'm trying to figure out who to use as my third reference on my resume, and I'm trying to do this quickly because I wanted to send out the first batch of resumes last week. Right now, I've got my current boss (because he knows me and my abilities now) and my boss from 2 years ago (because of his name and where he works). Part of me wants to use a non-stage manager person (like an artistic director or a production manager) to show how I work with other departments, and I know my current AD thinks I'm great, but if I decide to apply other places for next season to keep my options open, how does that play with him on my team? The other thing I was thinking of was asking my friend Sarah who supervised me on 2 productions and therefore knows my work, but is currently freelancing and therefore not associated with a company. I think the AD would be stronger on my resume, but I know he's really busy right now, but so is Sarah. Hrm. Or do I just list two. Anybody have any thoughts on the matter? Bueller? Bueller?

5 comments:

  1. I think you should use a big name star for your third reference..perhaps the likes of Big Bird, Burt, Oscar the grouch.... You would certainly get a lot of raised eyebrows and interest in such a name.. if you want, you can give them my number and I will play the part for the reference....Mmmmm.. How to convince the caller that I'm really Big Bird, especially if I don't know they are calling???... Oh well, nevermind on the reference of Big Bird...I suppose I'm no help. but I look at the positive.. I'm now published.... hehehe... I hope you are able to determine a third person.

    -Cousin C. (I didn't want to set up an account)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Cousin C., you're right about one thing--at least you're published. And you were so zealous that you published THREE TIMES!

    Hrm, I wonder what a potential employer would do with a resume that listed Big Bird as a reference. Though, in this industry, they'd probably just think I worked in public television...

    I forgot earlier, I'm also considering calling last year's boss (who PRO: is now a production manager but CON: doesn't work at that theatre anymore). We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, thanks for your help #6. :)

    This resume crap isn't nearly has hard as it's made out to be.

    I'll send you a copy of my current resume shortly. I need to print and proof a hard copy of it first. (I always seem to miss elementary mistakes when I read on screen.)

    ReplyDelete